Julie's Friday Crystal Ball 22 March 2019
Hi there dear Empaness supporters and gemstone jewellery fanatics
Onyx is one of my favourite stones to use for jewellery - I think it is elegant and timeless.
Handcrafted Sterling Silver Black Onyx Pendant on Snake Chain
So I’ve dedicated this week’s bog to writing some facts I’ve acquired on it over the years:
- Onyx is a form of silicate mineral - silicate minerals make up most of the earths crust.
- Onyx is essentially banded silica - it’s bands are straight, unlike Agate which has curvy silica bands.
- If the bands are red, it is called Sardonyx not Onyx. You can also get brown, pink and green Onyx.
- Black Onyx is traditionally associated with force of will - wear it to help increase perseverance. Or if you want strength to change a habit.
- It is also a stone that soothes and brings re-assurance from its energies, some people believe
- Black Onyx that is sold commercially is often dyed, to increase visual effect. Try to purchase quality jewellery !
- India and Brazil have lots of black onyx resources.
- Onyx is a great stone to use for crystal therapy - It’s effects are on the root, solar plexus and third eye chakras, most sources seem to indicate.
And I am looking forward to working with Black Onyx in my upcoming men’s range as I believe it is well suited to men as well as women.
This week’s news from Julie’s craft bench:
I’ve had a fun week going to different op shops around here and sourcing some metals, gemstones, beads, crystals, charms and more to make some new creations using recycled materials.
I already have quite a few on our website. Its a nice feeling knowing that your re-using something and, at the same time, making something new for someone to wear and love.
Stay posted for a new recycled collection range. What shall I call it? Any suggestions. I’d love to here from you ! I don’t want to just call it “recycled”.
If you have any questions about Empaness or our products you can message me on FB, Instagram or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Message from me for the week is “A heart full of love and compassion is the main source of inner strength, willpower, happiness and mental tranquility” [Dalai Lama]
Bye for now - wishing you all a wonderful, happy and safe weekend.
Handcrafted Faceted Black Onyx Sterling Silver Earrings